Friday, April 13, 2007

Solitude

I have a friend, we will just call his name David, who is constantly reminding me to be teachable. Don't get me wrong it's a good thing to be reminded to be teachable and I thank God for men like David who are in my life and do not hesitate to challenge me.


So today, this post is in honor of David.


10 Things I Have Learned,
Alone


10. I enjoy silence for short periods of time, but am comforted by the sound of life, activity and energy.
9. My family has become so much a part of my life that I have a difficult time having a direction and acting on it when they are not around.
8. The human body is made to sleep for 6-8 hours at a time with no jarring breaks in the middle of it and when the body is allowed to get that kind of sleep it functions much better.
7. 'Coffee Time' with my wife every morning is extremely important to me and I value her prayers, her feedback and her interruptions when I am reading. :)
6. The Rocket Bakery, a few blocks away, is a great place to have a cup of coffee, eat a day old Danish and watch people laugh, love and argue.
5. I do not enjoy cooking for one person, but love the hustle and bustle of preparing a meal for 6!
4. It takes about 2 weeks and a good cleaning for the weird kid smells to leave a bedroom and I am beginning to miss it.
3. I have been disciplining myself to go to bed at 12 instead of 3, and have learned that the sun comes up well before 6am.
2. I have learned how to take a digital picture from a video camera, how to manage a blog, how to operate a Mac, and how I know nothing about contruction.

1. I have learned that I am a family man. Whether it be a gift or a curse, I love our growing family and honestly have a hard time operating without them. Many people have told me that they are always challeneged and amazed at our faith in pursuing kids - now I know that it has more to do with the way God has built me than it does with faith or courage. I have learned that I have many areas I need to grow in in order to parent my children in a God honoring, life preparing, joy filled way. I have learned that I am not obeying God in diligently teaching my
children the truths of Scripture and that I rely too much on others to do it for me. I have learned that a gentle word turns away wrath and that I need to exercise that more with my wife and children. I have learned that my Mom thinks I can walk on water and that my Dad thinks I have the faith of Abraham and the stength of Samson.

I have learned a lot in the past two weeks and I still have a week to go.



0 comments: