Thursday, September 20, 2007

Kindness

I have been reflecting on "kindness" today as I am preparing for a Sunday School class this Sunday. Specifically we will be looking at David's merciful act of showing kindness to Mephibosheth. David's question in 2 Sam. 9:1 reveals David's great love for Jonathan - that even though David was the new King and culturally he should have killed all of Saul's descendants to eliminate any threat to his throne...he desired to show kindness.

One of our introduction questions directs me to think about a moment of kindness expressed to me in a moment when someone valued me over themselves. I'm not sure why, but one image immediately rushed into my mind. One evening I was at the hospital when our daughter Abby was dying. We had many friends and family come and visit us during those terrible hours and most of those events will always remain a blur to me. However, I do remember a moment of simple kindness and I'm not quite sure why this image has always stuck with me.

Among all of the friends and family that came to visit I distinctly remember Lukas Naugle and Andrew Eggimann visiting one night. I was walking around the floor trying to let off a little stress when I bumped into them. I do not remember anything that was said between us, but I do remember something they did - they gave me a back rub. I am sure that they gave me words of encouragement and probably even prayed for me, but the only thing I remember is that back rub. I stood in the hallway of that hospital and they both took turns rubbing my shoulders. I remember the pain in my muscles from all the tense hours of that time being rubbed and pushed out.

It was a simple moment of kindness. We often have no idea what to say or do during moments of tragedy. Normally when you ask someone if you can do something there is not much to be said. I am sure that they asked me if they could do something for me and I am sure I simply asked them to pray. But in that moment their brotherly love was seen in the action of a back rub and for that, I will forever be grateful. Thanks brothers!

2 comments:

Missy said...

great post. how true, something that someone may view as so insignificant could be just how God will bring healing and peace. thanks for your blog. we pray for you and Jenn often and appreciate your words.

paddy1mac said...

Thanks Missy, I appreciate the encouragement. We have been enjoying this painful journey. God has been so faithful in so many ways and we would have never seen that if we would not have acted in faith and pursued our sons. Thanks for reading and keeping up with our lives.