Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What's In a Name?


My son's have very strong feelings about their new American names. It is a matter of absolute pride for them. They wield the name as a weapon sometimes by giving it back to us when they are angry. "I'm not a McConnell!", they sometimes shout. I usually simply shrug and say, "Ok, but you still must obey". There are a couple of instances that have revealed to me how much their name means to them.

The day before school started the boys had an orientation at their school. It was a very exciting time and the whole family went to encourage them and give them support. They were enthralled by the desks, art on the walls, and they were especially encouraged to see that they had their own desk and their own locker. It was truly a thrilling moment for them. And then (I hate writing those words because it seems to happen so often..."and then") they noticed their name tags. Noah was first. Laminated on colorful plastic it read "Noah McConnell". He picked up his name tag, looked at it and then threw it down on the table with absolute disdain.

"Not my name!", he exclaimed. I picked it up and looked at it. Yes Noah, this is you. NO!! He became angry. Noah McConnell is not my name, no Patrick. Ah, I thought I got it and had a quick answer for him. It's ok, they just shorten your name for school. When Dad goes to work, people do not call him by his full name, just Patrick. At school you are Noah McConnell.

But he would have none of it. My name is "Noah Zelalem Patrick McConnell"! Why no Patrick in name? I said, "Noah, you are still Noah Zelalem Patrick McConnell but at school your name is just "tennish" (short). It's ok, I tried to assure him. Josiah and Caleb had separate but identical responses. They were deeply offended that the name I use (Patrick) was not attached to their name. You see, in their culture the child takes on the father's first name as their last. The boys actually wanted to hack off the "McConnell" and just have "Patrick" as their last name.

Tonight was another great example. I was trying to explain to Josiah how North, South, East and West worked on a map and he just couldn't get it. So I wrote his name in the middle of the compass and told him "this is where Josiah stands" and here are the ways you can go away from Josiah. He said, "oh, ok, I understand" and then he pointed to his name. "My name is Josiah McConnell when I am at school." I know son, but I am just trying to explain how a compass works on a scrap piece of paper and the important thing to know is that you are in the middle of the compass. "Ok. My name is Josiah McConnell." And he sat there and looked at me, waiting. I scribbled McConnell under Josiah on our little scrap piece of paper and he smiled.

"Thank you Daddy". You are welcome son.

We played soccer the other day at a friends house. The McConnell boys (me included) were on one team and the other family competed against us. It was a very laid back and unstructured game to be sure - I have no idea about any of the rules in soccer except that you can't use your hands. We won the little game 5-2 and you should have seen my sons. They were running around the yard like they had just won the biggest soccer game in the century. And you know what they kept saying? "The McConnell Family won, the McConnell Family won, the McConnell family won." They were absolutely ecstatic.

Today I was meditating on 1 Peter 2 and I noticed that Peter thought very highly of what is in a name.

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession,"

Peter was using several Old Testament pictures to describe the believer's position and relationship in the New Covenant with God and he used names. They are names or descriptive titles loaded with meaning and value and as believers we can study the meaning behind those names and have an even clearer picture of who we are. With titles comes a purpose, a direction; with an identity comes security. My son's are learning to find great security in carrying the McConnell name and we should find great security in caring the name of our Father.

I have learned a great lesson from my son's and from Peter - knowing who you are means a great deal and it should impact the way that you live.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother. Thanks for sharing.

- Biggie

paddy1mac said...

Biggie!!

Anonymous said...

Hi McConnell family,
My husband and I (and our four children) are in the process of adopting two older boys from Ethiopia. We have been reading your blog for the past couple of weeks with great interest. Your family has been in my prayers often. We have been truly inspired by how you have handled some extremely difficult situations with wisdom and grace. Trials are not obstacles to faith but opportunities for God to reveal how wonderfully faithful He is. We would love to correspond more. Let us know if you are open to that possibility. Thanks, Katie H.

paddy1mac said...

Of course. You can email me at paddy1mac@gmail.com or my wife at jen1mac@gmail.com.

Jennifer said...

actually my email address is jennifer1mac@gmail.com!

paddy1mac said...

oops.

paddy1mac said...

Katie,

I did get your email and it is on the list to reply to today.